Thursday, February 3, 2011

Good Mornin'...Good Mooooorrrrnin'

Yes, kids, it is currently 2:21 pm EST and I've been up for about 20 minutes. This is the life when you are unemployed, childless and lost in America. Not much reason to stumble out of bed and stumble to the kitchen (though I could, perhaps, use Dolly's proverbial "cup of ambition") or to attempt sleep any earlier than 4:00 am-ish when you have no particular reason to get out of bed. While this thought often makes me feel rather poky and melancholy, it doesn't particularly bother me today. Sure, Brian hit me with the fact that we have a few additional bills to pay today that were not expected to arrive so soon, sure I had to dip into my dwindling savings account to get them paid, but the fact is, I'm handling things quite well today, especially for me. Sure there was the sharp intake of breath, the instant fear that is always attached to such occasions, but then, for the first time in a long time, I exhaled. I simply wrote the check, accepted that these things happen in life, despite one's best intentions (or, in this case, my husband's best intentions) and went on with my day. My day is actually going well enough that the lovely Debbie Reynolds' happy voice entered my mind (p.s., my mom woke me up by singing the title of this thread for MANY years and I had NO idea until just last year that the song came from the brilliant film, "Singin' in the Rain" - thanks, Paula!) Imagine that!

4 comments:

  1. My mom used to sing that to me to wake me up also. Now every time I hear it my eye ticks and I instantly try to choke the closest person to me. haha

    Good for you for faring better than I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Hun! I can't remember the last time the thought of life didn't evoke the smallest hint of a panic attack soon to come. Keep your head high and stay strong! I love ya girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay strong! And be positive ... something wonderful is waiting for you around the corner, I know it!! *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, ladies. It was definitely an uncharacteristically positive day for me. I'm really hoping I'll have them more often.

    ReplyDelete