Tuesday, November 14, 2017

I Am Nowhere Near My Last Bloom

For my writing group (which meets tomorrow night), it was my job to come up with the prompts for this week. I can't lie, they were not conjured from my imagination (as they usually are) but, rather, chosen after I googled "writing prompts". One of them was to choose the final line of a previous piece of writing or journal entry and to use that as the opening of the new piece. Suffice it to say, that's the prompt I chose. I ended a poem with the title of this one some time in 2014 and the line grabbed me now, as it did then. If you're curious, read on. If you enjoy what you read, I'd love it if you'd follow this blog (and join the HUGE group of roughly thirty like-minded folks who already have). If not, that's cool, too. 

I am nowhere near
my last bloom.
Fuck sorrow and fear.
There is no room for them
in my life anymore.
Of course
I am real.
I feel the pair. 
In my humble opinion
more than my fair share.
I cannot help but care
even about those
who do not deserve
my mind
my heart
my time.
I am not blind.
I recognize
when I am told lies
although sometimes
they take me by surprise.
I tend to trust
far too often
and for far too long
but damn it
this is not my swan song.
In spite of my open heart
and easily mislead mind
I find a way to get along.
Thank you
to those who love me
and thank you 
to those who lie.
Thank you
to those who support me
and thank you
to those who make me cry.
It is because of you
that I am strong
and know right from wrong.
This is not my swan song.
I am nowhere near
my last bloom
not when there is still 
so much room
to grow
and thrive
and be alive.

1 comment:

  1. I usually google prompts, LOL, or grab them from Poets & writers mag website. I think you used that (fabulous) line to make a helluva poem.

    ReplyDelete